Did you know that several online services are based on the data you deposit on the internet? Do you remember doing a search for a certain product on a shopping site and, in the following days, having your inbox flooded with “deals” for the same product? Have you ever seen the price of an item in an online store and when you went back there to buy it, you noticed that the price had changed?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, you must have realized that the internet works like a radar that captures, stores, and passes on all the activity you carry out on it. If you are not happy with this situation and want to browse more privately and securely, then you need a VPN.
What is a VPN?
VPN, or virtual private network, is a network created within the internet itself, which connects you to a server operated by a service. It’s called a private network because the connection is encrypted, you’re the only one browsing it. The VPN serves as a mask for your IP address, making it “point” to a different location from where you are.
What are the advantages?
Basically, as your connection via VPN is encrypted, you can browse the internet anonymously, and you can still protect yourself against hacker attacks if you are accessing public networks, such as a hotel, for example. Here are some advantages of using a VPN:
- Access content blocked for your country on Netflix – the collection available by Netflix may vary from country to country. The VPN may unblock this content based on the country you choose to connect from;
- Privacy when using torrents – even if you are downloading or uploading files legally, you can increase your privacy if you are using a VPN;
- Be safe when using public wireless networks – public wireless networks are a gateway for hackers and malware to take over your portable devices. Under a VPN, your connection is shielded from these attacks;
- Use VoIP services with peace of mind – use apps like Skype more securely, both for talking and video calls;
- Search more privately – search Google, Bing, etc., without letting these sites know that you are using them;
- Access content from your country – Get access to streaming content from your country, even if you are outside of it.
Which VPN services are reliable?
There are numerous VPN services on the market, some paid and some free. Obviously, the free ones usually offer very basic functionalities, without the guarantee of a fast and stable connection, in addition to having a traffic limit. Therefore, in some cases, only a paid service will be able to fully meet your needs.
One of the most highly regarded is NordVPN, which has a website entirely in Portuguese, and works on Windows, MacOS, Android, and iOS (yes, your cell phone needs a VPN too!). NordVPN has plans that adapt to the desires of users, offering services to individuals and companies. Students have a discount.
The best of everything? If you don’t like NordVPN within the first 30 days of using it, they have a 100% money-back guarantee. You can check the plans below: