We explain what are the steps to install a digital certificate on the mobile, whether it is Android or iOS.
We are going to explain how to install a digital certificate on the mobile step by step. We explain what instructions to follow to do it on Android and iOS. Additionally, we provide you with some explanations about the main functions of this identification method and how to get more out of it in your day to day.
Remember that we have published other complementary guides that will help you manage your digital certificates from any of your devices. For example, we have told you how to transfer a digital certificate from one computer to another or how to install an electronic ID in Windows 10. The content of these publications together with what we explain here will help you take more advantage of the possibilities offered by this technology.
How to install a digital certificate on your mobile if you have an Android
Let’s start by talking about installing a digital certificate on the mobile if the operating system is Android. The first step, how could it be otherwise, is to download the certificate in the internal memory of the device. Once you have the file corresponding to your certificate, locate it thanks to the file explorer. Tap on the certificate file to start the installation.
The Android certificate manager will proceed to extract the certificate once the identity is validated. As? With a password, you must know. Otherwise, you won’t be able to deploy the certificate to the device. When you have entered the password, click OK.
When the Choose a certificate type window appears, select Application and VPN user certificate. In this way, you can authenticate from installed applications, such as the web browser.
The final step is to name the certificate. It is not necessary that you put your own name, but a name that helps you identify the certificate. For example, you might have multiple certificates from different vendors, and in that case, it would be more convenient to identify them by vendor name. Or perhaps you install the certificates of other family members and, then, it is more appropriate to use the names of each one.
When finished, the certificate will be installed. If you access the website of a public administration that accepts the certificate that you have just extracted in your terminal, the browser will allow you to select it to identify yourself.
How to install a digital certificate on iOS
Let’s review now what are the steps to install a digital certificate on the mobile if this is an iPhone.
In reality, the indications are very similar:
- Download the certificate in the Files app.
- Tap on it to install it on the device.
- If you are asked where it should be installed, select iPhone.
- When you get the Profile downloaded notice, close the window and go to the phone settings.
- At the top of the preference list, click Downloaded profile.
- Tap on Install.
- Enter the key.
- Click Next to finish.
Now the certificate is available on the phone. To use it, it is recommended to use Safari.
What is a digital certificate used for on the mobile?
Now that you know how to install a digital certificate on your mobile, it’s time to answer a basic question. What is a digital certificate used for? Or in other words, what functions does it provide you when you install it on your mobile?
The digital certificate is a file that identifies you to a web page or an application. As it is a file signed by a competent entity, by using it you are confirming that it is really you who is going to carry out a specific task.
In view of this, with a digital certificate, you will be able to carry out a large number of procedures before public administrations and other organizations through the Internet. There is no doubt that the main problem that exists in the network is the verification of an identity, something especially important if we talk about relating to official entities. Thanks to the digital certificate this inconvenience disappears.
If we apply an equivalence, installing a digital certificate on your phone and using it on an official website would be like going to a physical office of a public body and showing your ID. Thanks to this digitally signed document, the electronic headquarters of any organization will know for sure that it is you who is behind the screen.
As it is a kind of digital ID, it is crucial that you take these recommendations into account:
- If the certificate has a password, don’t write it down anywhere. Most certificates ask for a key. Sometimes it is the ID number itself, but on other occasions, it is not. Be that as it may, avoid having it written in a visible place, be it physical, a piece of paper, or virtual, a note application.
- Prevents anyone from accessing the certificate. The digital certificate is actually a file. If someone has access to it and knows the password (it’s easy if they can see your ID), they can install it on their device and identify themselves to the administrations on your behalf. This could have serious consequences for you. Avoid at all costs saving the certificate in a shared space with other users.
- Block access to your mobile phone. When installing a digital certificate on the phone, it is highly recommended that the terminal have a PIN, a pattern, and fingerprint unlocking.
Other articles that interest you:
- How to install and view location digital certificates in Windows 10
- How to download the Online Working Life Report
- Digital license for Windows 10: which one should you buy and where?
- What is an SSL certificate for?
And you, do you usually install a digital certificate on your mobile? In which portals do you use this authentication technology? Leave us your opinion in the comments area. We read you!