In this guide, you will find the steps you need to take to connect to a VPN on Windows, Linux, or Android.
This is a guide on VPNs and how to connect on Windows, Linux, and Android. What you will find here complements other related information that we have already published, such as the review of the best VPN extensions for Chrome, the article to create a virtual private network with a QNAP NAS, or the list that includes the most recommended free VPNs. In any case, if you are thinking of manually configuring such a connection on your phone or computer, keep reading.
We have divided this publication into different sections to make it easier to read. First, we will talk about when you will need the instructions that we give you here. Then, we put on the table the steps to access a VPN and how to connect on Windows, Linux, and Android. Let’s start!
VPNs and how to connect on Windows, Linux, and Android, with or without an app?
The objectives pursued by users when accessing the Internet through a VPN are diverse. However, synthesizing the matter a lot, we find two areas in which this technology is useful: in the personal and professional fields. Users who take advantage of the capabilities of VPNs to browse from home or with their mobile usually do so thanks to a third-party service, either free or paid. In this way, they find a substantial improvement in their privacy and security.
On the contrary, when it comes to professional use, the purpose of VPNs goes beyond the protection of the personal information of the employee. What is sought is to provide access to the company’s digital resources, such as devices or storage. It is also a way to protect communications that are established remotely. This has become especially necessary with the implementation of teleworking in recent times.
Depending on the destination that the VPN is going to have, there are two ways to install them on a computer. They are the following:
- With an app. Both commercial VPN services and companies can create applications that install the necessary profile in an automated way. Typically, platforms such as CyberGhost, Pure VPN, or NordVPN, services clearly focused on the personal and purely commercial sphere, offer this possibility. On the contrary, in companies, it is not so frequent.
- Through operating system settings. As we are going to explain below, each operating system allows you to manually add VPN profiles. This capability is clearly focused on the professional field, where companies provide their employees with the necessary data to establish the connection, instead of providing an application that simplifies the process.
In short, knowing the steps you must take to install a VPN profile on your devices will come in handy if you want to access the Internet through this technology. However, they are methods that you only need to know to add virtual network connections manually.
VPN: How to connect on Windows, Linux, and Android step by step
Learn with us what are the indications for VPNs and how to connect on Windows, Linux, and Android step by step and without complications.
On Windows, the steps to implement a VPN connection are really simple. Follow the guidelines mentioned here whether you are a Windows 10 or Windows 11 user.
After opening the preferences panel with the keyboard shortcut Windows + I or from the start menu, do this:
- Enter the Network and Internet section.
- Click on VPN in the list of settings.
- Click Add a VPN.
- In the pop-up window, write the data that you have received from the person in charge of the network.
If everything is ok, by saving the profile you will be able to connect with the VPN. Do it by clicking on the network icon in the taskbar and selecting the corresponding VPN.
Not all Linux comes with the same graphical environment. Surely it is something that you could verify in our article on the best distributions that you can install on your computer. As a result, the instructions for adding a VPN are different if you’re using Ubuntu, Kubuntu, or Zorin OS.
Despite the above, we will take Ubuntu as a reference to explain how to install a VPN profile:
- Open the activities screen with the Windows key or Super.
- Type Network to access the corresponding settings.
- Click the Plus (+) button to add a new connection.
- Indicates that you want to add a VPN.
- Write the data that you have been provided to connect to the virtual network.
In the upper bar, on the right, you have at your disposal a control to activate or deactivate access via VPN to the Internet.
On Android, the instructions for adding a VPN vary depending on the model and brand of your device. Depending on the layer of customization that the manufacturer has implemented on their devices, VPN options lie in one place or another. What is certain is that you must go to system preferences to find them.
As an example, this is how you should do it if your device is a Xiaomi:
- Open the phone settings and tap on Connection and Sharing.
- Among the options that you will see on the screen, try to locate the VPN entry.
- At the bottom of the screen, tap Add VPN.
- Enter the connection data provided by the network provider.
When you’re done, save your changes. From now on, you can go to this menu to activate or deactivate Internet access through the VPN. It is also possible to add a shortcut in the notification curtain shortcuts. If the virtual private network is in use, an icon will appear in the device’s status bar.
VPN and how to connect on Windows, Linux, and Android
There is no doubt: VPNs are gaining more and more followers. It doesn’t matter if you want to improve privacy, take advantage of your company’s resources, or bypass a website block. For all this, it is a useful technology. Remember that if your provider offers an application, it is best to install it on your device. The instructions mentioned here for VPN connections and how to connect on Windows, Linux, and Android are intended for users who require manual access to the virtual private network.
And you, how do you connect to VPNs? Do you take advantage of it for work or in your day-to-day? Tell us about your experience. Our community is waiting for you!